The Department of Ophthalmology provides services in Six major areas which includes
A. Clinical services
B. Community ophthalmology
C. School eye Health
E. Subspecialty Training for Consultants in the department.
A THE CLINICAL SERVICES WE PROVIDE INCLUDES:
• Examination, diagnosis and Treatment of Ophthalmic Conditions.
• Visual Field Assessment with the use of automated perimetry.
• Refraction and correction of Refractive Errors
• Optical Workshop for dispensing and fitting of spectacles.
• Low Vision Clinic and Provision of Low Vision Aids.
• Ophthalmic Surgeries
• Casualty Ophthalmology services with 24 hours coverage.
• Emergency Eye care with prompt response.
• Pediatrics Ophthalmic care and squint surgeries
• In-Patent Services.
• Out-patient Services.
B COMMUNITY OPHTHALMOLOGY:
a. Screening of patients and Cataract surgeries at reduced rates
b. Outreach Centre’s
c. Cataract surgeries in Conjunction with NGO
C SCHOOL EYE HEALTH.
Screening of Pre-School and primary school children and correction of their visual problems. This is done in conjunction with the Edo State ophthalmological Society of Nigeria and the Edo State Government.
Training of Undergraduates, Post-graduate Doctors, Ophthalmic Nurses and other allied professionals.
E SUBSPECIALTY TRAINING FOR CONSULTANTS IN THE DEPARTMENT.
Consultants are being trained in some subspecialty areas of ophthalmology to enhance patients care. Some consultants have completed their subspecialty. Subspecialty areas in Ophthalmology include:
i) Community Ophthalmology
ii) Anterior Segment.
iv) Pediatrics Ophthalmology and Strabismology.
vi) Vetreoretinal Surgery Medical Ophthalmology.
Various research projects are currently going on in the department, some are department others are individual projects.