Dietitians and nutritionists perform some or all of the following duties:
• Develop, administer and supervise nutrition and food preparation and service programs in hospitals, nursing homes, schools, company cafeterias or similar settings
• Evaluate nutritional status of individuals and provide nutrition counseling and consulting to health professionals, dietetic interns, community groups, government, media and individuals
• Aid in the prevention and/or treatment of inadequate nutrition
• Plan, evaluate and conduct nutrition education programs and develop educational materials for various audiences
• Practice on an individual basis or as a member of an interdisciplinary team to determine nutritional needs of patients and to plan normal and therapeutic menus
• Study and analyze current scientific nutritional studies and conduct research to improve the nutritional value, taste, appearance and preparation of food.
• Confer with other health professionals, community groups, government and the media to provide consultation and advice in areas of nutrition interpretation, intervention and policy
• Supervise training of dietetic interns.
• Dietitians and nutritionists may specialize in such areas as administrative dietetics, clinical dietetics, community dietetics, public health dietetics or research dietetics.
• Participation in consultant ward rounds for in-patients.
• Lecturing student nurses and other categories of nursing officers on the importance of therapeutic diets.
• Training of dietetic interns and those in industrial attachments
• Running dietetic clinics every Thursday
• Liaising with other health –care professionals to provide optimal health care for patients.
• Teaching of students of school of Nursing, Midwifery and Post Basic Nursing with a view to enhance them practically.
Working Days & Hours:
Monday to Friday (8:00am to 4:00pm)
Dietitians and nutritionists in UBTH plan implement and oversee nutrition and food service programs.